Quand ‘l’Afrique’ a gagné la Coupe du monde!
When ‘Africa’ won the World Cup!
Our lesson this time goes back to a joke made by chat-show host Trevor Noah last summer, following the World cup. The only thing is, some people didn’t find his joke funny at all, not least the French ambassador in Washington. So what was it all about, again? Let’s start, as usual, with a conversation to put things in context.
This lesson contains a whole range of interesting vocabulary. To discover how to use expressions such as the following, let’s get started!
- à propos de (= about, regarding)
- remporter (= to win)
- au juste (= exactly)
- il va sans dire que (= it goes without saying that)
- provoquer (= to cause, to provoke)
- traîner (= to hang around)
- entendre parler de (= to hear about)
- du fait que (= because)
- intégration (f) (= integration)
- répliquer (= to retort)
- déplaire à (= to displease)
- en fonction de (= according to)
- qualifier [qqn / qqc] de (= to describe [s.t./s.b.] as)
- poursuivre (= to pursue, to continue)
- rétorquer (= to retort)
- commettre un délit (= to commit a crime)
- chômage (m) – (= unemployment)
- ignorer que (= to be unaware that)
- faire remarquer que (= to point out that)
- se nourrir de (= to feed on)
- avoir mieux fait de (= to be better off [doing…])
- quoi qu’en dise [qqn] (= whatever [one] may say)
Not yet registered on our site? Why not register now… it takes just a couple of moments.
Already registered? To download detailed PDF Lesson Guides with full transcripts, detailed analysis of key vocabulary, grammar and more, consider purchasing download credits.
If you wish, you may comment on or ask a question about the above. You must log in to add a comment or ask a question.